Tenant Grant Fund for tenants in social housing and the private sector
The Scottish Government has set up a Tenant Grant Fund to provide financial help to tenants in social housing and in the private sector who are at risk of becoming homeless because they fallen have behind with rent payments during the pandemic.
The grants will help tenants who have struggled financially as a direct result of the pandemic, allowing them to reduce or pay-off any rent arrears they have built up. The grants do not have to be repaid and are available to tenants in Council, Housing Association or Privately-Rented accommodation.
Councillor Jacqui Todd, Cabinet Member for Housing, Welfare and Poverty said: “The Tenant Grant Fund has been introduced to help with rent arrears that have built up between 23 March 2020 and 9 August 2021 and can be used to make a full or partial payment of arrears. Our aim is to ensure funding is targeted towards supporting households who are at the greatest risk of becoming homeless or are threatened with homelessness.
“The scheme is designed to be flexible, however the funding is only available until next March. I would urge our local tenants, either in social housing or private lets, to get in touch as soon as possible and find out how we can help.”
Eligibility criteria set by the Scottish Government:
- The grants are limited to helping with rent arrears that built-up between 23 March 2020 and 9 August 2021 to a maximum of 12 months within this period
- Grants can be used to make a full or partial payment of arrears depending on individual circumstances
- Grants will be targeted towards current tenants who are at risk of becoming homeless and do not have any other way of clearing the arrears
- Private Sector landlords should be registered on the Scottish Landlord Register
- Landlords should have carried out steps to resolve the issue before making an application in line with pre-action requirements
- Payments will be made to landlords rather than tenants on the strict condition that the payment will be used to credit the tenant's rent account, and that any ongoing proceedings to end the tenancy will be ceased.
Local authorities are administering payments and East Ayrshire has received an allocation of funding, which is only available until Thursday 31 March 2022.
If you are a Council tenant please call our Housing Options Team on 01563 554400 option 5 and then option 2 and ask about the Tenant Grant Fund or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Landlords, letting agents or third sector organisations should email: email@example.com and request an application form.